.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Melons Grow Vertically and Look Beautiful

 

This crenshaw melon plant is enjoying its vertical support with nylon netting and inexpensive electrical conduit.  This frame by is supported and fitted over 2' long  rebar pounded in the ground on either side of the box. There are several advantages to growing this way. It really saves on space! A melon like this can sprawl over several feet in the traditional garden plot. The plant leaves receive more sunlight because of growing at a different angle. The plant will also be safe from being damaged by ground insects, footsteps and lawn mowing.

 

In this photo you can see the fruit beginning to grow. You may ask,"How can that climbing plant hold the weight of a big melon?" Mother Nature has made arrangements! You can observe the plant vines actually thicken as the fruit grows heavier. Mel says that the crenshaw melon is one of his favorites and I have to say I agree with him. It is similar to a cantelope by much larger, juicier and sweeter. I plant them every year and don't even bother with the cantelopes now!






homegardenstogo.com

1 comment:

  1. Your garden plant look nice! I love it as mine.
    I use goat manure and rice husk ash to grow vegetables, salad peperomia, carrots and courgettes. I always leave an enough safe distance, to avoid harming plant from lawn mowing.
    I always use electric lawn mower because it is quite safe for health and environment around, less noisy.
    Please click here to read more: how easy is it to use electric lawn mower . I am very pleased to discover and read this great blog. thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete