.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Today's Harvest

The sun was out today and I decided to grab my large basket and see what I could gather from my Square Foot Gardens.  I've had a great season with tomatoes this year,

especially Roma's. They are the best for making thick tomato sauces. I wash them and blend them uncooked, skin and all then store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Sometimes I'll add garlic onion and basil as well. My bell peppers have been the best ever for me. I've learned that they need a hotter soil (more nitrogen) so I made sure they had plenty of my composted chicken manure. I let some of my carrots (growing in a 12" deep box ) get a little too large and they may be a little tough to eat raw but should be okay steamed or add to a smoothie . I've heard the carrot tops are edible too and could be tossed in the smoothie as well. Then again, my chickens really like them too.  I thought I better dig up some young onions before colder weather set in.  I still have  zucchini and crooneck plants thriving under the eave of my front porch as well as lemon cucumbers. Butternut squash  is one of my new favorites to grow.


And we can't forget our beloved pumpkins for the month of October. I'll set them out on the front porch for a little while and then bake and purée them for the freezer to add to smoothies or for homemade pumpkin pie.

homegardenstogo.com

homegardenstogo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment