.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Simple Composting on the Back Porch

My Mom and I with her Square Foot Garden
After I installed A square foot garden for my mom on her deck she became passionate about producing her own compost to replenish nutrients for her growing vegetables. She placed a small bucket beside the box on the deck containing a dowel to stir and  a spray bottle of water hanging over the side. Compost needs to be moved often and moistened regularly to break down. She then set out on a mission to find compost ingredients and gathered old flower petals, house plant leaves, kitchen vegetable peelings and waste,grass clippings, and tree leaves to add to her bucket. She also asked me to deliver manure from my chickens whenever I came for a visit. She diligently stirred and sprayed her compost daily taking joy in her learning experience. To my surprise, her compost bucket on her deck produced a rich black mixture that really added to her garden success. Compost happens! I love to tell this story as an example of how easy it can be to produce and then use to sustain a garden on your own property.
homegardenstogo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment