.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Growing Vegetables in Part Shade


I'm experimenting with the placement of this box that sits on the east side of my house. Above, the sun starts to shine on it at about 11 AM.  It contains broccoli, parsley,spinach and several lettuce varieties. These plants tolerate a lot of shade and as you can see they are all thriving with very limited sun exposure. They get about 3 hours of sunlight each day. I'm hoping the lettuces will stay cool enough to keep from bolting or tasting bitter. If I can,  I should be able to extend their life to enjoy a tomato from my sunny garden in my salad.

At about 2 pm the shade creeps over this box for the remainder of the day. Only certain types of plants like these tolerate shade well. Other vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, squash and melons need 6-8 hours of sun daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment