.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Starting Seeds Indoors


I pulled my old seed packets out of my freezer and placed several seeds on a paper plate with a wet paper towel . I only took out the vegetables that thrive in the cool weather like broccoli, cabbage, lettuces ,kale and spinach Then I put the plate in a ziplock bag and sealed it. I placed it on top of my kitchen cabinets where it is out of sight but gets warmth and light.This will test the packet of seeds for potency and  sprout them quickly. If less then 50% of the seeds sprout then you can throw the packet away.  I prefer this method to placing the seed in soil because it's much faster and more reliable with no need to tend and water.

When the seeds show 2 leaves they are ready to plant in soil. I will be placing these outside in my greenhouse in trays that are on special heating pads and cover them with a plastic dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment