.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Seed Starts in Makeshift Greenhouse Looking good!


Growing zucchini,spaghetti ,butternut & crookneck squashes, artichoke,onions, cucumbers and more
 I'm pretty happy about my seed starts this year.  I dd  a few things differently then in the past and I admit I am continually learning which is what life is all about,right? I germinated most of my seeds on a damp paper towel enclosed in a plastic ziploc bag.  This really worked well and fast. It also saves a lot of time because you can see if your seeds are even good from the start. I was testing out seeds I had stored in my freezer from 2009 and many of them sprouted fine.  I've watched the temperatures in my makeshift greenhouse and even put a fan in there to use on very warm days.  I just thought about how it feels when you walk into a commercial nursery greenhouse, moist, breezy and bright and tried to duplicate that in my own way. I've been more attentive to my seedlings, making sure they are moistened every day and keeping them carefully covered with a plastic lid until they grow too tall.  I'm starting to harden some of them off like the broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage and onions to plant in my SFG now as they like the cooler weather
Tomatoes...Valencia,Sweet 100,Brandy wine,yellow pear








No comments:

Post a Comment