.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Garden Feast

I had been saving some recipes just waiting for the right time to try them. One was carmelized beets with garlic.  I like to grow beets in my SFG. The tender greens on them are delicious and before harvesting the actual beet I will cut a few off and more will continue to grow. I just got a really good recipe for pickled beets from my neighbor which I will probably try next season. I plant 9 garlic per square in the Fall. It is ready to harvest in the summer when most of the  tops have browned. I keep the tops on and hang them upside down in my basement storage room for two weeks for the flavor to cure. I always save some of my bulbs to plant the next Fall. I separate the cloves and plant one at a time. I've made fried zucchini many times but I dont think I had ever used cornmeal as a coating.  Just mix some egg and milk,slice a few zucchini and dip then coat with cornmeal and fry in olive oil.  I picked some of my lemon cucumbers that are round and yellow and taste like  ...an ordinary cucumber.  I guess they're named lemon for their color and shape. I chopped them up and added 1T of mayo and fresh dill.  My garden feast all came from my SFG except for the olive oil and cornmeal. It was delicious !

No comments:

Post a Comment