.

Hi! I'm Belinda, a Square Foot Gardener and a Certified Instructor of the Square Foot Gardening method. I am also the Head of Operations at Square Foot Gardening.Com and a Master Gardener with the Utah State University extension.
Square Foot Gardening is by far the most hassle free way to grow food. Read on and see why!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pruning Tomato Plants to fit in a 12" Square

I have been asked many times how you can grow a tomato plant in one 12" square.  They just get so big!  In his book, All New Square Foot Gardening,Mel teaches how to do this and I have shown how in this video. During the hot summer months I will also feed plants that seem to be struggling or just not growing very fast.  I do this by adding compost to the base of the plant. There's no need to dig down or around the plant as this may damage the root system.  Simply watering the plant will carry the nutrients in the compost down to the roots.The compost also acts as a mulch  and  keeps moisture around the plant and protects it from drying out in the hot sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment